Caring for aging parents can become stressful. It’s important to plan accordingly. Continue reading for more information about how to care for aging parents who need help.
Assessing the Appropriate Level of Care That’s Needed
Each situation is different when it comes to elderly care. While there are several variables that should be considered, the two most important questions to consider are:
- Are two parents being cared for at the same time?
- How is the overall mental and physical health of your parent(s)?
The answers to these questions will influence the amount of care your parents need as well as your capability to meet these needs.
Consult with Experts
It’s a good idea to seek assistance from professionals in the field or to talk to others who are more experienced in caring for aging parents. Some living assistance organizations even offer in-home consultations to determine the level of care needed.
Determine What You Can Do
This encompasses your financial capabilities among other important factors, such as:
- The available space in your home
- Mobility challenges your home might have
- The effect on your children or family dynamics
- Time or availability constraints in your schedule
It’s important to communicate your intentions to your parents. When doing so, it’s important to follow two general rules:
- Try to maintain a sense of “normalcy”. The more you can try to keep things similar and familiar, the better it will be for everyone involved.
- Try to maintain your parents’ dignity. Wherever they can have privacy and independence, allow them to enjoy it.
Share the Responsibility
Whether you seek help from other relatives, assisted living facilities, or caregivers, it’s important to try to share the responsibilities when caring for aging parents. Consider getting help in the following areas:
- Meal preparation
- Running errands or shopping
- Community and recreational time
- Housekeeping services
Regardless of how you decide to care for your aging parents, everyone needs a little bit of assistance from time to time. At Nevada Adult Day Healthcare Centers, we provide a fun and caring environment where your loved one can thrive. We provide assistance with nursing, physical therapy, daily living assistance, social and recreational activities, and more. Contact us for more information.