Arthritis refers to a range of conditions that involve pain and inflammation of the joints. It is a degenerative condition, which means symptoms tend to worsen over time. Arthritis can be frustrating and painful and make life feel harder than it already is, but there are ways to ease Arthritis pain along with excellent tools to make tasks easier.
Natural Pain Relief
Manage your weight
Your weight can have a significant impact on arthritis symptoms. Extra weight puts more pressure on your joints, causing more pain in your knees, hips, and feet. You can manage your weight and arthritis by following safe forms of exercise:
- Water Aerobics
Hot and Cold Therapy
Heat treatments can include taking long, warm showers in the morning to ease stiffness or using an electric blanket or hot pad to reduce overnight discomfort. Cold therapies can help relieve joint pain, swelling, and inflammation. You can apply a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel to painful joints for quick relief. DO NOT apply ice directly to your skin.
People should consult a healthcare professional before taking herbal remedies. Certain medications can interact with or cause side effects if taken with herbal supplements. Herbal remedies come in many forms, like tea, supplements, and ointments. Here are a few you can ask about and potentially try:
- Boswellia extract
Home & Garden Tools
You don’t have to struggle to keep up with hobbies like gardening and maintaining your home. You can purchase many tools online that can help you with anything from opening jars to holding utensils:
- Ergonomic Gardening Tools: The patented ergonomic grip can reduce hand and wrist stress, and it was featured in Arthritis Today magazine.
- Utensil Padding Grips: Foam tubing provide a wider and more secure grip for utensils, writing tools, toothbrushes, and more!
- Key Turner Aid: These key turners provide extra leverage and require less strength to hold and turn, reducing hand and wrist pain.
Everyone uses their kitchen every day, and sometimes, it’s hard to make your daily meals when your hands and wrists are in pain. Thankfully, a variety of tools can reduce pain and help you enjoy cooking again:
- Electric Salt and Pepper Grinders: Manually twisting salt and pepper grinders can stress your hands and wrists. These grinders will do the work for you!
- Electric Can Opener: One button press will open your canned food without the physical pain of using a manual can opener.
- Bottle Opener: You can easily open 16 different sizes of bottle caps with this tool, along with aiding in opening cans with pull tabs like soups and pet food.
People can take something as simple as getting dressed for granted. Buttoning shirts, zipping jackets, and putting on socks can be more difficult when you have joint pain and stiffness. Here are a few tools to help you get dressed:
- Shoe Horn and Sock Remover: The Sock Ox has extended handles to help remove and put on your socks and shoes. It’s also collapsible for easy transportation!
- Button Hook and Zipper Assist: This tool was specifically designed for those with mobility issues and can be used on buttons of various sizes.
These tools and tips will help you ease joint pain and stiffness! Any tool or device that can help alleviate Arthritis symptoms is worth trying. Nevada Adult Day Healthcare Centers offer a wide variety of services and programs to help improve the lives of the elderly and disabled, including physical therapy, which can also aid in Arthritis symptoms. Contact us today to learn more about how our services can improve your and your loved ones’ lives.